Our dentists use crowns for teeth that are no longer strong enough to be fixed with a filling. Crowns surround the entire tooth, bracing it together to keep it strong. Today's technologies allow the crowns to be strong and beautiful, using porcelain to match the color of the rest of your teeth.
Below is an example porcelain crown case done in our office. The patient came in with a large metal filling in a tooth, and was tender to chewing, indicating the tooth was about to fracture. Several crack lines were found on the tooth as indicated by arrows in the images. This is the perfect indication for a crown. Not only is the crown very natural looking, but the tooth is now totally pain free!
A crown can be needed for several reasons:
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking
- To rebuild an already broken tooth
- To brace together a cracked tooth
- To protect a root canal treated tooth
- To replace a failing existing crown
- For cosmetic improvements